2017 Insight Into Woodworking Class was a success
Each year the Siskiyou Woodcraft Guild membership offers a series of classes to provide an introductory level of information for beginning and intermediate woodworkers. Instructors lecture and demonstrate basic woodworking tools and techniques. While this is not a hands on class, it is an excellent opportunity to interact with professional woodworkers, see their shops, setups, works-in-progress, and learn the tricks of the trade. The Insight program is also a great way to meet fellow local woodworkers for association and guidance. The Insight Into Woodworking series of 12 or 13 classes are offered for $125 per person.
A NEW CLASS SCHEDULE AND REGISTRATION FORM WILL BE POSTED ON THIS PAGE IN JANUARY 2018.
Below is a sampling of the classes that were offered in 2016.
- Introduction to wood shops & measuring. This session will cover basic shop setup. It will also provide you an opportunity to meet the instructors, review class schedule and voice your needs.
- Introduction to Table Saw Usaage and Basic Table Saw Tune-up.
- Small shop hand tool use and restoration. Covers basic hand tool use and maintenance.
- Scraper and band saw utilization. Scraper use and demonstration of how to resaw wood and cut curves safely using a band saw.
- Cabinet Construction.. This session will provide an overview of cabinet making and the use of the table saw.
- Routers, shapers and their jigs. Provides an overview and use of routers and shapers and jigs that make them safe and efficient.
- Architectural wood carving, mold making and folk style whittling. Provides an overview of carving tools and techniques using hand tools.
- JIgs and Fixtures. Covers building and using jigs, fixtures and templates for accuracy and repetition.
- Tool sharpening, tool modification. Provides you with a greater understanding of methods to sharpen plane irons and chisels and how to modify tools for special applications.
- Shop Safety. Considerations for being safe in the shop and keeping all 10 of those amazing fingers.
- Wood Turning. An overview of turning and turning tools in making round objects. Wet wood turning techniques will be demonstrated
- History of finishing materials. Provides an overview of finishes and finishing techniques.